[RFC] ath10k: use raw tx

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Fri Aug 29 00:27:23 PDT 2014

On 29 August 2014 09:15, Yeoh Chun-Yeow <yeohchunyeow at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Michal
>
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Michal Kazior <michal.kazior at tieto.com> wrote:
>> This is just a reference for anyone interested in
>> getting injection working with ath10k.
>>
>> This just switches to raw tx mode instead of nwifi
>> for regular operation. Injection doesn't work yet.
>>
>> I've tested this on 999.999.0.636, 10.1.467.2-1
>> and 10.2-00082-4. The 10.1.467.2-1 crashes as soon
>> as first tx completion comes in. The other two
>> seem to work but don't work with A-MSDU so it is
>> necessary to disable it:
>
> Packet injection requires monitor mode, am I right?

Typically you inject frames via monitor vif in radiotap mode. This
doesn't imply anything about driver implementation.

> Firmware 999.999.0.636 has no monitor mode support, am I right?

It crashes soon after starting a lone monitor vdev but I recall it
worked as long as you run it alongside, e.g. an associated station
interface so you can try working around this problem. Or you can run
10.2.

Then Txing with monitor vdev_id will definitely crash all known
firmware binaries. Other vdev types need peer entries to be set up
before a frame can be sent with certain DA (otherwise it stays in the
queues indefinitely). Take a look at the offchannel worker in ath10k
as it may be useful if you want to get this running (at least to a
limited degree).

Also, with raw tx in ath10k you can probably try playing with mesh
because QoS Control is no longer stripped, right?