Reporting firmware stats to ethtool

Kalle Valo kvalo at qca.qualcomm.com
Fri Aug 8 23:32:56 PDT 2014

Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> writes:

>> Does ath driver notify mac80211 about firmware restart, ie. through
>> ieee80211_restart_hw(). If only user-space could get that info.
>
> We should soon have a udev event on firmware crash

Who should send the event, the driver or mac80211? I'm not very familiar
with udev stuff, what kind of rules there are for udev events?

> A simple restart (w/out crash) might not be so interesting?

Yeah, we should not report that. ath10k stops the firmware on interface
down and starts it again on interface up which is business as usual.

> Might be nice to have a fw restart and fw crash counter in ethtool
> stats in case something wants to poll that instead of dealing with
> uevents. I will add those counters.

Yeah, those would be great to have.