Reporting firmware stats to ethtool

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Fri Aug 8 09:11:36 PDT 2014

On 08/08/2014 08:55 AM, Dave Taht wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:

>>> I also prefer to have this in user space, but how does user space know
>>> when the stats have been zeroed?
>>
>> Poll often enough that it cannot increment more than 2 billion (or other large number)
>> between polls, and then if polled value is less than previous (and difference is > 2 billion),
>> we know we had a reset and not a wrap.
>
> I do kind of prefer 64 bit counters in the general case. Nuke it from
> orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

It's 64-bit to user-space, but that means nothing because firmware
uses 32-bit (or even 16 bit in some cases, probably) internally.
A great deal of counters are the same, so be very careful when
trying to keep long term counters grabbed from firmware/drivers/hardware.

And, stations come and go when you re-associate, so all sorts of wifi counters
reset themselves all the time...