Performance v/s signal quality graph.

Bartosz Markowski bartosz.markowski at tieto.com
Tue Aug 5 08:25:10 PDT 2014

On 5 August 2014 17:15, Bart Jooris <Bart.Jooris at intec.ugent.be> wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> I enjoyed watching your graph already a few times now ;-)
>
> I have a few questions related to your experiment:
> -about the setup, the cards have 3x3 MIMO so the attenuator has probably
> also three channels which are attenuated in parallel?
> -based on the datasheet of the QCA9880 VHT80_MCS9 reception should break
> around -68dBm. On your graph it breaks around -52dBm, which is not within
> the described tolerances. Do you have any idea what could be causing this?
> Is the noise level higher than expected? Or did I made the wrong
> conclusions? I will try to verify on our setup.
> -my million dollar question to you is related to the approx. 810Mbps UDP
> goodput :-) I already did some experiments over 3 coax cables, I noticed the
> same UDP goodput as over the air, which is around 640Mbps. Watching the
> sniffer I've noticed MCS=9, Data rate=1299.9 Mbps and block ACKs every (in
> avg.) 10 frames. So what is the key to the higher goodput?

Did you platform not suffer from lack of resources? On less powerfull
devices (e.g. ARM based routers) the main blocker for higher
throughput were the host CPU.. On high end x86 laptops I was getting
around 900Mbps UDP in cabled environment some time ago.

Also what mode are you testing AP / STA? Is your DUT bridged or has to
generate the traffic also?

Bartosz