broadcast packet

yfw fengwei.yin at linaro.org
Tue Sep 1 18:19:37 PDT 2015

Hi Bjorn,

On 2015年09月02日 08:50, Bjorn Andersson wrote:
> On Tue 01 Sep 06:02 PDT 2015, Thomas B. R?cker wrote:
>
>> On 08/31/2015 07:10 AM, yfw wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>> I am using Dragon board which is msm8916 based and use wcn3620.
>>> And hit an issue with wcn36xx wifi driver:
>>>
>>> It looks like the driver can't receive broadcast packet. When
>>> I tried to using "ping -b 255.255.255.0" from other box and dump
>>> the packet received, there is no any broadcast packet reported.
>>>
>>> I am wondering whether this issue could be reproduced on other
>>> platform with wcn36xx driver. If you could help to try it in your
>>> devices and let me know the result, that will be great. Thanks
>>> in advance.
>>
>> You'll find, that this is closely related to what I reported in my
>> previous mail:
>>
>> The driver does not implement configuration of the various filters that
>> the firmware/hardware seems to have, which means it's in an undefined
>> default state. This state seems to filter all broadcast and external ARP
>> traffic by default, which also breaks most of IPv6.
>>
>> To get things working you'll have to implement a minimum of
>> configuration, probably by sniffing what the original driver does and
>> modifying single configuration values.
>>

> Pardon my drive-by-answer, didn't "69a88cc7b164 wcn36xx: initialize
> device defaults on start" bring such configuration mechanism?
This doesn't work. Two things I observed in my side:
1. The workable prima driver have lots more configure items than this
    commit added to mainline driver.
2. Even I copied all configure items from workable prima driver (I used
    very bold fork - just copy the buffer from prima driver and send the
    exact buffer to wcnss from mainline driver), the issue is still
    there.

I have same feeling like Thoms, the firmware is in insane states and
filter out all broadcast packet (ARP request is also broadcast).

Regards
Yin, Fengwei