WCN3660 capabilities

Gucea Doru gucea.doru at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 00:45:41 PDT 2015

Hello, Eugene

I read the posts from this forum and I noticed that some of the
subjects focused on the WCN3660 WiFi chip which is also available on
the LG Nexus 4.

Do you know if the original WiFi driver for Nexus 4/the modified
driver that you're developing has support for multiple virtual WiFi
interfaces [1]?

What I try to do is to create multiple WiFi virtual interfaces in the
managed mode by using the iw utility (cross-compiled for Android):
1. shell at android:# iw phy phy0 interface add vif type manage
2. shell at android:# iw phy phy0 interface add vif2 type managed
I will use each virtual interface to connect to a different AP and
then let a Layer 4 protocol (MPTCP [2) to split the traffic on each
interface. It's worth mentioning that I need to do it on an Android
smartphone, because I already did it using Linux.

Now, the problem is that I can't find an Android smartphone which
supports the creation of multi-vifs. For example, the second command
above fails on my Nexus 5 device which has a Broadcom WiFi chip, so I
was wondering if a smartphone with an Atheros card has support for
multiple virtual interfaces.

I have more question, but first I want to make sure that you
understood the above problem.

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/321690/
[2] http://multipath-tcp.org/
[3] http://nets.cs.pub.ro/~costin/files/multi-wifi.pdf

P.S: Sorry for the last message on the mailing list with a wrong Subject.

Thanks a lot,
Doru