Hardware offloaded scan - does wcn support it?

developer developer dev at skyshaper.net
Thu May 16 12:13:53 EDT 2013

Hello

I was looking into the scan a bit today and I run into some confusion
which I hope we could maybe sort out.

the .hw_scan op is there to be able to pass a list of channels to scan
to the firmware and let the firmware do the heavy lifting while the
host relaxes. However, I am unsure if the wcn3660 supports this.

There is this packet:
https://github.com/KrasnikovEugene/wcn36xx/blob/master/hal.h#L4028
which contains the channel list, but I have not figured out how to utilize it.

Just sending this packet doesn't seem to scan anything as far as I can tell.

There also seems to be no way of settings active/passive scan per
channel in this packet.

Does anyone of you know if there is indeed support for hardware offloaded scan?

Unless there is a way to trigger the an offload I'm thinking about
hacking together support for the software scan implemented in mac80211
instead and hoping it'll work out ok.

Thoughts?

Cheers
--