usbatm question

Roman Kagan rkagan at mail.ru
Sat Mar 19 06:32:00 EST 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 03:01:05PM +0100, castet.matthieu at free.fr wrote:
> > I'm a bit confused here.  Do you mean that "failed" is considered a
> > transient error happening every now and then during modem operation,
> > which needs graceful recovery (reboot)?
> Yes failed can happen in case the modem lost synchronisation or other problems.
> There also other stat info (los,crc error) which need to reboot the modem.

Is crc error or synchronization loss is such a disaster that requires
complete reboot of the modem?

> > If the modem has to be rebooted from time to time during normal
> > operation (grrrr...) I suggest not to use heavy_init, as you need a
> > reboot hook all the time.
> >
> No need to have a reboot hook, because we don't need to stop usbatm when
> rebooting : it is independant : there is a part of the driver for atm/usb and a
> part for the state machine of the driver (firmware + stats)

That's exactly what I mean: if you expect a need to reboot the modem
during normal operation, you can run the booting routine at any time.
This means that you can consider your modem ready when the usb probe
succeeded, and don't need heavy_init at all.  Your booting routine will
run as part of the normal modem operation, and ATM device will be
available at that time.

> PS : if you want more detail, you could look ueagle
> http://cvs.gna.org/viewcvs/ueagle/ueagle/driver/ueagle.c?rev=1.138&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

OK, I'll take a look.  Thanks for the pointer.

Roman.