usbatm question

castet.matthieu at free.fr castet.matthieu at free.fr
Mon Mar 14 09:01:05 EST 2005

Hi Roman

Selon Roman Kagan <rkagan at mail.ru>:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 09:42:48PM +0100, matthieu castet wrote:
> > Once we have finish to send all your options, we need to monitor the
> > state of the modem :
> > - if it is not yet synchronized or in initialization we ask again its
> state.
> > - If the state is failed, we reboot it
> > - if it is operational, we start to monitor the modem : we ask other
> > stats info(including rate), when we receive the answer, we ask the
> > following stat info. When finish asking all the stat info, we ask again
> > the state of the modem.
>
> I'm a bit confused here.  Do you mean that "failed" is considered a
> transient error happening every now and then during modem operation,
> which needs graceful recovery (reboot)?
Yes failed can happen in case the modem lost synchronisation or other problems.
There also other stat info (los,crc error) which need to reboot the modem.

> If the modem has to be rebooted from time to time during normal
> operation (grrrr...) I suggest not to use heavy_init, as you need a
> reboot hook all the time.

No need to have a reboot hook, because we don't need to stop usbatm when
rebooting : it is independant : there is a part of the driver for atm/usb and a
part for the state machine of the driver (firmware + stats)
A solution could be to start the modem in atm_start, but it is a bit ugly...

Matthieu

PS : if you want more detail, you could look ueagle
http://cvs.gna.org/viewcvs/ueagle/ueagle/driver/ueagle.c?rev=1.138&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup