speedtch speedtch.c,1.44,1.45

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Thu Apr 14 13:19:20 EDT 2005

Hi Roman,

> > Add a parameter for choosing the altsetting on interface 1.
>
> Can't this, as well as dl_512_first and sw_buffering, be determined
> based on the bcdDevice?

not really, except maybe for dl_512_first.  sw_buffering means you want
the modem to do extra buffering (or maybe the opposite!), and as such
doesn't depend on the modem version.  The altsetting is indeed only
useful for people with old modems.  I know someone who insists he needs
altsetting 2 not 1, even though his modem seems identical to mine (based
on the contents of /proc/bus/usb/devices) - maybe a firmware difference,
but he says not.  So no known way to autodetect it (for most modems,
including my old one, altsetting 1 is better).  I don't know for dl_512.

> It's just my observation with cxacru that more configuration handles
> result in more users confused...

Good defaults help (autodetecting them is nice too), but IMHO if an
option can be useful, it's better to have it.  Making configuration
easy is, in the end, a job for user-space tools...  I guess
documentation may help.

D.