Joining the skiparty this year

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at danlj.org
Wed Oct 28 22:37:24 EDT 2009

I've been looking into the SIM card situation for those of us with
benighted US providers who want to charge more than the cost of the
trip to check email occasionally...

Please let me know if I am misinterpreting or otherwise wrong,
but it looks like you can get reasonable voice SIMs or reasonable
data SIMs, but not a single prepaid SIM with reasonable tariffs
for both voice and data.  The two providers that seem to make
sense are A1 and T-Mobile.  A1 sells a ~20 euro 1GB prepaid data
SIM and T-Mobile sells a ~10 euro 512MB prepaid data SIM.  I can't
buy either of those data cards to ship to the US to have to bring
with me; a few places will sell T-Mobile voice SIMs in the US
that have absurd data prices but none I've found sell A1 SIMs
of any kind in the US.

I heard that last year, A1 had the best coverage on the mountain.

http://prepaid-wireless-internet-access.wetpaint.com/page/Austria+-+B+Free+Broadband

Does this look right?