Location choice.

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Mar 18 06:33:37 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 22:23 +0100, Michael Hanselmann wrote:
> There are also quite a few good places in Switzerland. However, prices
> for well-known places like Davos, St. Moritz or Saas Fee are likely to
> be higher than comparable places in other countries. Since you know
> Kitzbühel already, I think it's better to try that one for at least
> one year.

Yeah, the responses didn't surprise me much -- it looks like we should
stay in EU and possibly let someone arrange a parallel trip on the other
side of the Atlantic. So it looks like Kitzbühel next year.

I didn't get much feedback yet on the question of whether we'd need to
be in town or not, though.

Personally, I'd be happy going to Aurach, which is where I usually go,
4km or so from Kitzbühel. We normally stay in the Hechenmoos, which is
marked on the maps below, or the slightly nicer but more expensive
Weisenegg next door. If we want to be self-catering, there are
apartments 100 yards up the road:
http://www.igluski.com/propertyinfo.cfm?pid=23083

>From Aurach, you spend a few minutes on the free ski bus getting to
Jochberg or Paß Thurn, or going into Kitzbühel. Personally, I prefer
that to walking through town in the morning, and you get into the system
at the quiet end (you can then ski across to Kitzbühel). In good
conditions, you can also ski down run 33 (the Giggling) right into
Aurach at the end of the day.

In Aurach there's two hotels, a bar and a ski shop, which is perfectly
sufficient for most purposes. If we really want to eat at a different
place each night, it's not so hard to get into Kitzbühel.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/pistemaps/Kitzbuhel_pistemap_full.jpg
misses the all-important 3S gondola which links Jochberg to Kitzbühel --
which is shown on the newer but less clear map at
http://www.worldsnowboardguide.com/upload/images/resorts/Kitzbuhel/7Kitzbuhelpistemap07.jpg

Alternatively, we could go for somewhere actually in Kitzbühel or
Kirchberg. Like http://www.igluski.com/propertyinfo.cfm?pid=23080 or
http://www.igluski.com/propertyinfo.cfm?pid=23079
http://www.igluski.com/propertyinfo.cfm?pid=23081 etc.

I've spoken to a few people who are going to get back to me with
suggestions, and I'll be there myself the week after next. Would be
useful to have a clearer idea of what people want so that I can start
narrowing it down.

--
dwmw2