Skigeek 2008

Jes Sorensen jes at sgi.com
Mon Aug 13 08:16:52 EDT 2007

>>>>> "Grant" == Grant Grundler <grundler at parisc-linux.org> writes:

Grant> On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 12:15:10PM -0400, Jes Sorensen wrote:
Grant> ...
>> For those of you who didn't know you were waiting for this, then
>> about 15 of us went this year and had great fun in the snow! Of
>> course we have to say it was great, given we are the organizers :-)

Grant> It was pretty good...we got damn lucky that it snowed the week
Grant> before and the snow held up most of that week. But as an
Grant> advanced whiner^Wskier, I found only 3-4 decent runs that had
Grant> any snow. Hopefully, this winter will be better and we can ski
Grant> more of the terrain.

We were very lucky, but that said this winter was the worst winter I
have seen here for the 10 years I have been coming in the Geneva
area. I am betting it is not going to be the same next year (I checked
with my neighbors and they claim it was the worst winter for 25 years).

>> For actual proof you can take a look at some of the pictures found
>> at http://bombadil.infradead.org/gallery2/main.php

Grant> More pictures here:
Grant> http://iou.parisc-linux.org/~grundler/images/2007/Avoriaz-ggg/
Grant> http://iou.parisc-linux.org/~grundler/images/2007/Avoriaz-mhicks/

Grant> (igal is still running...should be done in a bit)

Care to upload them to the page? Can set you up with an account of if
you drop me a tarball I can do it too.

>> Although we would prefer that you didn't invite the kind of
>> troublemaker who loses their passport and require to be driven to
>> Geneva mid-week to get a new one to get home!

Grant> To be fair, it was the end of the week, wasn't it? :)

Thursday! But picking on a certain Mr. Woodhouse is always encouraged!

Grant> Private busses run from the Geneva airport regularly on
Grant> Saturday and are not that expensive.  I don't think it was any
Grant> cheaper to hire a car amongst 5 people. Except it was awefully
Grant> convenient to have the car for the trip to get a temporary
Grant> passport.  (And no, it wasn't me. ;)

Yes, it adds a lot of convenience but the busses are a realistic
option too. Anybody who decides to arrive mid-week will have to drag
his own luggage up the hill though .....

Cheers,
Jes