ptpd version with kernel send time stamps

"Sebastian Dölker" sebastiandoelker at gmx.de
Fri Jan 29 04:07:41 EST 2010

Hallo,
Thank you for you quick reply!
Yes i think that's what i mean.
I work with the orginal ptpd version from sourceforge and i am locking for options to improve the clock synchronisation (at the moment ca +- 300us)
Currently ptpd does tx-timestamps in user space with the getTime() funktion in protocol.c. I think because of that there is to much Jitter in the s2m-delay calculation.
So if i do the tx-timestamps closer to the hardware, i guess my synchronisation will get better!?

I heared of this methode, doing send timestamps in the nic driver and get it with a ioctl to userspace. My nic does not support hw-timestamping so i have to do the timestamping in the software stack of the nic driver.

If i add your SOF_TIMESTAMPING_TX_SOFTWARE option to the ioctl interface of the nic driver by my self, can it work with your ptpd version?

I have less experience in driver programming, so:
Can it work in the explained way at all?
Is it a lot of effort to adapt the nic driver in that way?
Will it bring improvement?

Best Regards
Sebastian

--

Nur noch bis 31.01.2010: DSL-Komplettpaket für 16,99 Euro/mtl.!*
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02