ptpd version with kernel send time stamps

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Thu Jan 28 11:44:58 EST 2010

On Do, 2010-01-28 at 13:49 +0000, George Neville-Neil wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2010, at 05:28 , Sebastian Dölker wrote:
>
> > hallo,
> > is there a open source version of ptpd that support kernel send time stamps?
> > and where can i get it?
> > thank you for help!
>
> Hello Sebatian,
>
> At the moment no such version exists.

Depending on what is meant with "kernel send time stamps", the code at
http://git.infradead.org/ptpd.git does support it:

-z CLOCK          selects which timer is used and controlled
                  system = the host's system time (default)
                  nic = the network interface
                  both = NIC time is synchronized over the network via PTP
                         and system time against NIC via local PTP
                  assisted = system time is synchronized across network via
                             NIC assisted time stamping
                  linux_hw = synchronize system time with Linux kernel assistance
                             via net_tstamp API, uses NIC time stamping
                  linux_sw = synchronize system time with Linux kernel assistance
                             via net_tstamp API, uses software time stamping

"net_tstamp" is the timestamping.txt API added in 2.6.30. "linux_hw"
works with suitable hardware (read: Intel 82586) , "linux_sw" doesn't
because software send time stamps via that API are not implemented yet.
But the default "system" also uses time stamps generated inside the
Linux IP stack by software, so linux_sw is not  absolutely needed.

http://git.infradead.org/ptpd.git/blob/HEAD:/src/dep/startup.c

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.