[Pcsclite-muscle] Simulating a CCID reader in software?

Michael StJohns mstjohns at comcast.net
Mon Oct 2 10:33:46 PDT 2023

On 10/2/2023 12:46 PM, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:

> My goal is to be able to simulate a CCID reader in software so that I
> can control what the "reader" sends and to connect this physically to
> a computer.
>
> I was thinking of using a Raspberry Pi to execute Frank Morgner's "USB
> CCID Emulator" and connect the Raspberry Pi to a computer USB port.
> I will have to find a male-male USB cable.
>
> If I understand correctly what "USB CCID Emulator" does it should work.
>
> I am open to other ideas :-)
>
> Bye

NXP has the code for an I2C to CCID bridge to allow the use of normal
CCID/PCSC interactions to their SE050 chips.  The devkit (MCUExpresso)
for the board mentioned in the link below has the source code for the
bridge.  It's under the SE_hostlib_examples as the se VCOM device in the
K64f sdk.

https://community.nxp.com/t5/Secure-Authentication/jcshell-se050-usb-i2c/td-p/1532879

This might be a good base to start from.  The code is written for an NXP
K64F, which is ARM M4 based.  The particular board I worked with had
Arduino compatible connections.

It's not exactly what I think you were asking about, but I would think
you'd need to add a smart card emulator on the back end as well - or at
least play around with the RAW interfaces.

Later, Mike