[Pcsclite-muscle] Simulating a CCID reader in software?

Ludovic Rousseau ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 09:46:50 PDT 2023

Le lun. 2 oct. 2023 à 11:01, Jakub Jelen <jjelen at redhat.com> a écrit :

> Hi,

Hello,

> as you probably know, we use vsmartcard for upstream OpenSC testing
> with both applets running in jcardsim and for software implementation
> of smart cards (libcacard, virt_cacard):
>
> https://github.com/Jakuje/virt_cacard

Nice project.

> It really depends on the use case and what you are trying to achieve.
> In addition to the uses above, the libcacard was originally written
> for the use in VMs so the qemu has a ccid interface which can be
> connected to from outside of VM and emulate USB CCID device in the VM:
>
> https://www.qemu.org/docs/master/system/devices/ccid.html

I did not know this feature of qemu. Thanks for the info.

My goal is to be able to simulate a CCID reader in software so that I
can control what the "reader" sends and to connect this physically to
a computer.

I was thinking of using a Raspberry Pi to execute Frank Morgner's "USB
CCID Emulator" and connect the Raspberry Pi to a computer USB port.
I will have to find a male-male USB cable.

If I understand correctly what "USB CCID Emulator" does it should work.

I am open to other ideas :-)

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau