Local site visit requested

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Tue Sep 26 22:26:30 EDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 05:58:33PM -0700, Ellie Young wrote:

> What else is around the DeVere?  Are there cheaper hotels near by?
> What about restaurants and transportation?

Cambridge is not a terribly large city, and the DeVere hotel is very
central. The Regent Hotel is under 5 minutes away on foot, as
is the Crowne Plaza - both may be slightly cheaper than the University
Arms.

The hotel is on a bus route from the railway station, and is again
around 5 minutes walk from the bus and coach station. It has a car park
which offers valet parking - this is available to both guests and
conference goers, but in both cases there's a charge.

There are many restaurants within a short walk. Regent Street contains
several, including Indian, Chinese, Turkish and Singaporean. Most of
these are relatively small, and I'm not sure what the maximum capacity
would be.

Depending on timing, it's quite possible that a college will be willing
to accept a block booking for accommodation. This would almost certainly
be cheaper than the hotels. Quality is likely to depend on the college,
but should in all cases be more than acceptable and will generally be
accompanied by historic surroundings and nice gardens. It may also be
possible to book a college for a conference dinner of some sort. Most
colleges are within 10 minutes walk of the hotel, other than (roughly
off the top of my head:)

Girton, Fitzwilliam, New Hall, St Edmunds, Robinson, Churchill, Clare
Hall (different to Clare), Homerton and Hughes Hall.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org