Decisions...

Ian Pratt m+Ian.Pratt at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 4 11:51:11 EDT 2006

> Well I've not had any more info from the colleges and Conference
> Cambridge have contacted me to ask what we think of the offers so far
> and whether they can be of further help. Here therefore is a summary
of
> the current offers and I'd like to be able to eliminate the ones which
> we thinks are unsuitable at this stage and then get further
information
> on the others.
>
> Perhaps someone closer to Cambridge than I am, might volunteer to
visit
> the short listed locations.

I'm back in Cambridge from Sep 11 and can take a look at the facilities
that week. Anyone else around this week?

> College		Rooms(*)	Conf Room
Availability

> Clare		80/9		Law Faculty (5mins walk)
> St. John's	120/180(**)	<=250, Fisher Building	29/30/31 July
> Homerton	320/145(**)	<=200, cabaret style	Wk. start 25
June
> 							Wk. start 2 & 16
July
> 							Whole of August
> New Hall	157/161		<=180, theatre style(***)
> 							11/12/13 July
>
> My general inclination is to rule out Homerton due to location as its
> bit further from the centre of the city than the others. I'm not
> familiar enough with the Law Faculty to know what Clare's suggestion
for
> a conference room is like and whether 5 mins walk is realistic. Based
> entirely on personal preference therefore, I'd suggest St. John's
and/or
> New Hall.

I've never been inside the Law Faculty, but it's certainly no more than
5-10mins from Clare.

Clare and John's are both good centre-of-town locations, whereas
Homerton and New Hall are hyperspace by Cambridge standards (i.e. more
than 15mins staggering distance from The Eagle).  I think we just need
to see the proposed rooms and decide...

Ian