Decisions...

Steven Whitehouse swhiteho at redhat.com
Sun Sep 3 12:19:40 EDT 2006

Hi,

Well I've not had any more info from the colleges and Conference
Cambridge have contacted me to ask what we think of the offers so far
and whether they can be of further help. Here therefore is a summary of
the current offers and I'd like to be able to eliminate the ones which
we thinks are unsuitable at this stage and then get further information
on the others.

Perhaps someone closer to Cambridge than I am, might volunteer to visit
the short listed locations. I'm only including colleges here, Alasdair
has a list of non-college locations.

College		Rooms(*)	Conf Room		Availability
Clare		80/9		Law Faculty (5mins walk)
St. John's	120/180(**)	<=250, Fisher Building	29/30/31 July
Homerton	320/145(**)	<=200, cabaret style	Wk. start 25 June
							Wk. start 2 & 16 July
							Whole of August
New Hall	157/161		<=180, theatre style(***)
							11/12/13 July

(*) This is ensuite single (or double/twin useable as single) followed
by the number of "extra" rooms (usually means not ensuite).
(**) These numbers come from the Conference Cambridge web site as the
info supplied didn't specify the amount.
(***) But presumably there will be no problem seating 100 at tables in
the "long room" which is the largest they have.

Clare didn't specify availability beyond saying "summer 2007" so we
could ask for more detailed dates if we want to continue considering it.

My general inclination is to rule out Homerton due to location as its a
bit further from the centre of the city than the others. I'm not
familiar enough with the Law Faculty to know what Clare's suggestion for
a conference room is like and whether 5 mins walk is realistic. Based
entirely on personal preference therefore, I'd suggest St. John's and/or
New Hall.

Things for me to confirm with the colleges: that the 250 seat room can
be changed to have fewer people, but seated at tables. Its not clear
from the info that I have at the moment if thats possible. Anything else
that people want to ask?

Steve.