Linux Kernel Summit 2007 - Accomodations

Ellie Young ellie at usenix.org
Thu Oct 26 17:34:24 EDT 2006

I had a round of email wiht Alasdair and David recently.   We have
arranged for the meeting space for the Summit to be at the DeVere
University Arms Hotel.  They will let us have the meeting space,
along with a-v, network, food/snacks/freshments/lunch .  While the
rates for meeting room and other services were reasonable, their
rates for sleeping rooms were very high (esp when you do the
conversation into dollars).  So we contacted Conference Cambridge
and Destination Cambridge about rooms at the colleges, which are much
more reasonably priced.      We would like to your advice on what you
think of the proposed options below and which one or two we might
book?  (give us your top two choices in terms of how nice the
accommodations are and how close to the Devere).     We may be
booking 80 or so rooms depending.

Thanks, Ellie

===========

Downing College  ( down the street from the DeVere Univ Arms)   :
60 pounds equals approx $112 USD; 70 pounds equals approx 131 USD.
"At the time of writing we can offer 50 single en-suite bedrooms for
the 4 -
7 September 2007.
The cost will be £70 pp per night with breakfast OR £60 pp per night
without breakfast.

Robinson College
20 minutes walk from University Arms Hotel
The youngest of Cambridge University's 31 colleges, designed and
built to serve as a premier conference centre in support of its
academic vocation, the College facilities are excellent, epitomised
by the well appointed study bedrooms.  The focus is on close
attention to detail, outstanding food and contributing to the
achievement of Clients' objectives. A modern venue with traditional
values, offering great events.

50 bedrooms on offer for 3rd - 8th Sept 2007
Single Ensuite rooms B&B for £63 + VAT per room per night

Homerton College
15 mins walks from University Arms and on a main bus route past the
Hotel
Homerton College stands close to the city centre & station with easy
access to the M11 and Stansted. Offering free car parking on site.
Homerton's range of facilities makes it suitable for a wide range of
corporate events and functions providing a good mix of traditional
and modern facilities, and a good base for holding a conference or
event, 15 minutes walk from the centre of the city.

50 bedrooms on offer for 3rd - 8th Sept 2007
Single ensuite rooms B&B for £59.25 + VAT per room per night

Arundel House Hotel
20 minutes walk for University Arms Hotel
Arundel House Hotel is beautifully located overlooking the River Cam
and open parkland. It is only a short walk across Jesus Green to the
city centre and the wealth of fascinating architecture for which
Cambridge is famous.
The Hotel is privately owned, has been formed from a terrace of
particularly fine late 19th century Victorian houses.

30 single rooms available for £80 per room per night
20 double rooms available for £95 per room per night

Express Holiday Inn
On the outskirts of Cambridge
The Express Holiday Inn is situated on the outskirts of Cambridge
city, in the same complex at the Next Generation Gym and Leisure
facilities.

25 rooms on offer £90 per room per night includes continental breakfast

Royal Cambridge Hotel
7 mins walk from University Arms Hotel
The Royal Cambridge Hotel 3* is located in the heart of Cambridge
with a good range of conference facilities. An elegant row of
Georgian terraced houses sympathetically converted into a centrally
located business and leisure hotel with excellent free car parking on
site. Within walking distance of Kings College Chapel and other city
centre attractions.

20 rooms for £105 per room per night B&B