Ksummit 2007 requirements

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Tue Jul 25 10:53:12 EDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 06:01:59PM -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> In terms of raw numbers, we're fewer than 100 people.  What we've had for
> the last few years in Ottawa is a big room with maybe 15 circular tables,
> each with about 8 chairs.  There's a stage at the front, and the tables
> would probably seat 12, but there's a 4-chair gap pointed at the stage.
> We have a microphone at each table, and power for our laptops.  While we
> use a wireless network currently (because we're guinea pigs for OLS),
> having a wired hub at each table would also be a perfectly acceptable
> way of supplying intarweb.  I would think that 10Mbit to the outside
> world would be acceptable (though I imagine if we do it in a college
> we'll get gigabit ;-)

Ok. The largest room in Jesus is probably suitable for holding that many
people, but not especially luxuriously (last time I was in there it had
a concrete floor, but that was about 3 years ago so things may have
improved since then). The alternative would probably be a large pavilion
on one of the sports pitches. In that case, September may work out
well, since there's an annual conference on international economic crime
that has that setup. Being either side of that could help logistically.

As far as internet goes, wireless provision should be no problem
whatsoever and wired is certainly possible.

> We've also had a couple of smaller rooms available for BOFs, maybe
> seating 40 people.  I don't think we're necessarily set on this format,
> but whatever setup we come up with needs to be amenable to holding
> ad-hoc discussions that everyone in the room can hear.

Not a problem - there's several smaller rooms available.

> For accommodation, I'm not the only geek who travels with wife (and
> progressively more with kids [1] too) ... are there facilities for married
> couples?  And does en-suite mean a shower in this particular context?

en-suite is shower, sink and toilet. There's recent (post-2000) rooms
for well over a hundred people, including some number of twin rooms -
I'd /guess/ that this involves an extra bed in a larger single room
rather than a double bed. There are several hotels within 10 minutes
walk at around £80-90 a night, with the price dropping as you head
further out.

> I think that would be an excellent opening-night dinner.  Again, the
> last few years, what we've had is a superb dinner on Sunday night,
> then Monday and Tuesday, we had muffins and pastries for breakfast
> and a sub-par conference centre provided lunch (think school dinners
> ...).  Monday night also gave us a dinner so we could be dragged back
> for a BOF two hours later.

Ok. These things are fairly easily negotiable.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org