Travel plans

Matthew Wilcox matthew at wil.cx
Mon Jul 24 20:37:35 EDT 2006

I think it would help our bid if we summarised the various and
multitudinous ways of getting to Cambridge for people from various parts
of the world.  Plus, it'll also be helpful for attendees when arranging
travel next year ;-)

>From outside Europe, Heathrow is your obvious destination.  I've rented a
car from there before (if one isn't intimidated by driving on the correct
side of the road ;-).  Google Maps reckons it to be 90 miles and 2 hours.
Carpooling is always an option given the number of people flying in.

National Express takes about 2.5-3 hours, but you can sleep or write
your slides.  Seems to cost 64 quid round trip.  Tube + Train (via
London King's X) is around 2 hours and 33 quid return trip.

People coming from within Europe will presumably want to take advantage
of the discount airlines.  Easyjet and Ryanair both fly into Stansted
and Luton.  Stansted obviously being much closer to Camby.

Then, I suppose there's the Eurostar, ferries and other options from
mainland Europe.  Do we have a convenient wiki we can put sample
prices on?

I suspect we want a short blurb about how to get to Cambridge from
various places in the UK ... M11, A1, A14, various train routes, etc.
Perhaps it'll also be useful to check various travel websites comparing
Ottawa in July to Cambridge in September from various departure airports.