Purpose of openwrt-devel?

Elliott Mitchell ehem+openwrt at m5p.com
Sun Mar 17 17:34:26 PDT 2024

On Sun, Mar 17, 2024 at 11:44:45AM +0100, por at oranjevos.nl wrote:
> Op 16 mrt. 2024, om 07:46 heeft Elliott Mitchell <ehem+openwrt at m5p.com> het volgende geschreven:
> > On Sat, Mar 16, 2024 at 02:19:27PM +0800, Chuanhong Guo wrote:
> >>
> >> And more comments on the perl thing:
> >> A maintainer needs to be familiar with perl to review or take your
> >> patches. I could probably vaguely understand what a perl script
> >> is doing by quickly learning the syntax, but I can't decide
> >> whether the script is good or not.
> >> Nobody is explicitly NACKing your patch or saying it's worse
> >> than the bash version just because it's written in perl. Maintainers
> >> who don't understand perl simply don't have the knowledge to
> >> judge the script, so the patch is left for others. If such a maintainer
> >> doesn't show up, your patch won't be taken. It doesn't matter if
> >> your script is superior or not.
> >
> > That makes forward progress impossible.  If it provides superior results
> > then perhaps the thing which only one person understands is acceptable?
> > As long as they maintain it, provide reasonable explanations and help
> > others work on gaining proper understanding, isn't that good enough?

> Ever considered to implement the kernel bumps based on 'git fast-import' in sh script in stead of perl ?

Well...

The choice of Perl+fast-import was guided by my aims.  I wanted to do as
little as possible as possible to the working tree in order to reduce
problems from someone trying the script in a dirty tree.  For POSIX shell
this simply isn't so advantageous.  Unfortunately you've caused me to
wonder about it a bit, so...

First thoughts.  Should be possible.  This isn't nearly so fast or robust
since fast-import is a *binary* protocol, *not* a text protocol.  In
particular it uses line-feeds, *not* newlines (subtle, but critical
difference).

Second thought.  Pretty difficult.  Perl was simple due to being able to
open a pipe and leave it around stuck to a variable.  Shell isn't really
well-suited to this.

Third thought.  Above I was thinking of an approach similar to what I did
with Perl.  If instead a more traditional fast-import fixed stream
approach was used, this is actually suitable for shell operation.

So, yes indeed shell+fast-import is quite doable.  I'm unsure of it being
particularly advantageous.  This would need a *bunch* of temporary files
to hold intermediate work before merging everything together.

My goal though was to do the job well, not to show off fast-import.

 \BS (    |         ehem+sigmsg at m5p.com  PGP 87145445         |    )   /
8A19\___\_|_/58D2 7E3D DDF4 7BA6 <-PGP-> 41D1 B375 37D0 8714\_|_/___/5445