Purpose of openwrt-devel?

Elliott Mitchell ehem+openwrt at m5p.com
Fri Mar 15 23:46:52 PDT 2024

On Sat, Mar 16, 2024 at 02:19:27PM +0800, Chuanhong Guo wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 16, 2024 at 11:41 AM Elliott Mitchell <ehem+openwrt at m5p.com> wrote:
> >
> > Anyone needing to figure out how the scripts work will need a fair bit
> > of familiarity with Git.  Being able to get good results really does need
> > some deep familiarity with Git's structures, at which point
> > `git fast-import` isn't a big step further.
>
> And more comments on the perl thing:
> A maintainer needs to be familiar with perl to review or take your
> patches. I could probably vaguely understand what a perl script
> is doing by quickly learning the syntax, but I can't decide
> whether the script is good or not.
> Nobody is explicitly NACKing your patch or saying it's worse
> than the bash version just because it's written in perl. Maintainers
> who don't understand perl simply don't have the knowledge to
> judge the script, so the patch is left for others. If such a maintainer
> doesn't show up, your patch won't be taken. It doesn't matter if
> your script is superior or not.

That makes forward progress impossible.  If it provides superior results
then perhaps the thing which only one person understands is acceptable?
As long as they maintain it, provide reasonable explanations and help
others work on gaining proper understanding, isn't that good enough?

As Paul D mentioned, thanks to version control, if things really break
there is an escape route.

 \BS (    |         ehem+sigmsg at m5p.com  PGP 87145445         |    )   /
8A19\___\_|_/58D2 7E3D DDF4 7BA6 <-PGP-> 41D1 B375 37D0 8714\_|_/___/5445