OpenWrt One - celebrating 20 years of OpenWrt

Paul D newtwen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 07:22:14 PST 2024

6GHz seems a starting point nowadays, although I get by with 5GHz.

If the BPi can be extended with add-on cards for exactly this area,
that's a great starting point also.

Ideally sub $100 for any product.

* Packages with cases+PSU are a must for broader acceptance, and to
prevent fatigue from having to buy several parts to get a working system
that can be wall/ceiling-mounted. This is an implicit advantage to
buying OTS routers: everything needed is there. An expensive ecosystem
becomes a limiting factor for adoption.

* Having a few H/W variants available provides demand metrics: which
variant is more in demand and popular speaks to what people want.

* CPU which manages line-speed WireGuard is very important nowadays:
with governments monitoring people, users demand privacy afforded by VPNs.

Wi-Fi is still inherently limited by the closed-source nature of the
Wi-Fi blobs: will those ever be open sourced? It'd be brave, but the
right way. ( Lots of IP )