[OpenWrt-Devel] VDSL with TP-link tdw8970 / tdw8980

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Wed Sep 26 07:08:22 EDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 12:24:19PM +0200, Torsten Duwe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been running both above boxes with ADSL Annex-B without problems,
> but now the Telekomedians changed the line to VDSL (Annex-J ?). I tried
> various settings with the xDSL firmware and startup, but keep getting
> at best:
>
> DOWN [0x300: handshake]
> DOWN [0x380: full_init]
> DOWN [0x1: exception]
>
> IOW: no "showtime". The box is marketed as "ADSL Annex-B", but the chipset
> is said to be VDSL-capable. OpenWRT lets me configure it so I can think of
> 2 possible reasons:
>
> 1. wrong xDSL firmware blob or configuration in the official download image
> openwrt-18.06.1-lantiq-xrx200-tplink_tdw8970-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
> (tried that so we have some common ground for comparison)

The safe path is to use the VDSL-firmware-blob which is shipped in
T-Com's own Speedport router firmware.
See
https://xdarklight.github.io/lantiq-xdsl-firmware-info/

Downloads for 5.6.8.4.1.7-5.6.7.2.1.2
https://www.telekom.de/dlp/eki/downloads/Speedport/Speedport%20W%20921V/Firmware_Speedport_W921V_1.39.000.bin

Extracting the source files:
    Rename the downloaded file to Firmware_Speedport_W921V_1.21.000.bin and copy it to /tmp/
    Download the source of the vdsl_fw_install tool from https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/package/kernel/lantiq/ltq-vdsl-fw/src?rev=45275
    In the source directory: make && ./w921v_fw_cutter
    The result can then be found in /tmp/vr9_dsl_fw_annex_b.bin

You may also use the resurrected ltq-vdsl-fw package available in
master branch / snapshot images which automatizes the process of
downloading the firmware (given that you have internet access somehow)

opkg install ltq-vdsl-vr9-vectoring-fw-installer
vdsl_fw_install.sh