[OpenWrt-Devel] VDSL with TP-link tdw8970 / tdw8980

Torsten Duwe duwe at suse.de
Wed Sep 26 06:24:19 EDT 2018

Hi all,

I've been running both above boxes with ADSL Annex-B without problems,
but now the Telekomedians changed the line to VDSL (Annex-J ?). I tried
various settings with the xDSL firmware and startup, but keep getting
at best:

DOWN [0x300: handshake]
DOWN [0x380: full_init]
DOWN [0x1: exception]

IOW: no "showtime". The box is marketed as "ADSL Annex-B", but the chipset
is said to be VDSL-capable. OpenWRT lets me configure it so I can think of
2 possible reasons:

1. wrong xDSL firmware blob or configuration in the official download image
openwrt-18.06.1-lantiq-xrx200-tplink_tdw8970-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
(tried that so we have some common ground for comparison)

2. TP-Link boxes will happily filter anything below 100kHz or so
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2017-July/008238.html

Any pointers or definite arguments why it cannot work?

	Torsten