[OpenWrt-Devel] [RFC] stop accepting 4/32M board patches

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 15:06:49 EST 2018

On 20/12/2018 17:46, James Feeney wrote:

> There also seems to be a presumption that a "newbie" is, or should be, running luci.  I believe that that is also an inappropriate assumption.
I think that is a pretty reasonable assumption. A newbie does need a web
interface. I would say more: that is what brings a lot more
attractiveness to the usage  and to the project itself.

Vast majority of people who use OpenWrt on their routers are not
developers or very technical and don't think as developers, don't even
know what SSH or Telnet means but they are pretty comfortable in using a
intuitive web interface as LuCI is. So in short Web Interface for a
version that is not custom is kind of vital.

Now, how to treat this issue for 4MB I am not sure yet. Need to give it
some extra thought and I am not worried about customized versions
because then the person know what he's doing.

One more thing: I find it horrible in 2018/2019 when people remove IPv6
support at any conditions in order to save space or memory. This shows a
very bad example and in my view should not stimulated. Perhaps not have
other packages in favor of keeping IPv6 but that's another discussion.

Regards