[OpenWrt-Devel] openwrt/packages: [RFC] Proposed flattening of menuconfig menus

Daniel F. Dickinson cshored at thecshore.com
Sun Aug 19 15:33:44 EDT 2018

On 2018-08-13 06:19 AM, Karl Palsson wrote:
> "Daniel F. Dickinson" <cshored at thecshore.com> wrote:
>> Posting on list as I think the discussion should include as
>> folks as possible in the discussion.
>>
>> https://github.com/openwrt/packages/issues/6745
>>
>>> Especially when getting started with OpenWrt finding things in menuconfig is complicated by the second level menus that are sometimes used and sometimes not, even when the category exists.
>>>
>>> Further not everything fits neatly in a category.
>>>
>>> Finally when, years ago, I tried to improve the situation the above resulted in titles that I think make it harder to find things (in retrospect).
>>>
>>> Therefore I would like to do a mass removal of the second-level menus, leaving only the broad top-level categories like 'net', and 'utlitiies'.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
> I agree that the earlier attempts at adding more categories was
> probably unhelpful, and just required more places to try checking
> for things. I think there's still room for _some_ second level
> menus (all of the iotivity stuff is fine in it's own menu for
> instance) , but they would need to have a "maintainer" of sorts,
> to try and sheperd new packages into that menu. You're only
> talking about the net/utilities/libraries trees right?
> luci/languages/kernel are all well maintained.
>
> What I honestly think is the biggest missing thing sometimes is
> proper package descriptions.
>
> I'd support undoing many of the nestings that were done,
> especially under networking. Especially the vague ones like "file
> transfer" and "bit torrent" and "download managers" and the
> "routing" ""vpn" "wwan" "firewall tunnel
>
> Cheers,
> Karl P
Moving discussion back to
https://github.com/openwrt/packages/issues/6745 since I got flack for
suggesting the list as place to discuss it.  I guess for thing where one
wants to make sure of wider participation than those who happen to
notice a particular GitHub issue is to post to this list with an pointer
to the GitHub issue.

Regards,

Daniel