[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

Felix Fietkau nbd at openwrt.org
Mon Oct 12 03:36:13 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-12 08:38, Steven Barth wrote:
> Let's face it though: the current workflow wrt. core patches is crappy.
>
> 1. Go to patchwork, see if there is a patch
> 2. If you want to comment, switch to mail client, find thread, write reply.
> 3. If you want to commit: download patch, go to command line, see if it applies
> 4. Then manually go back to patchwork and adjust the status of the patch.
> 5. Upon merging go back to mail and write a mail ala "Patch Accepted".
Step 5 is unnecessary, patchwork sends emails on status changes.

> Sure could use pwclient and ocassionally do, however it does essentially one thing
> only: save me the download step. Yes, I can also save me the click back to the
> browser to hit accept and can do that via CLI (if I remember the cryptic switches).
> On top of that now I have to deal with an opaque 5 or 6-digit patch id in my head.
I usually copy the mbox link from patchwork and do this:
wget -O- <link> | git am

> Compared to Github, Gitlab or Gerrit this is bullshit.
Even with those, there is some bouncing around in counter-intuitive ways
if your process includes testing a commit before pushing it.

What would your preferred workflow be? Please list the exact series of
steps for it.

- Felix