[OpenWrt-Devel] openwrt-devel Digest, Vol 118, Issue 11

Piotr Dymacz pepe2k at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 08:40:28 EDT 2015

Hello hackru,

> On 03 Oct 2015, at 03:00, openwrt-devel-request at lists.openwrt.org wrote:
>

> For #2,  I can write the wiki page, though it is would be complicated.
> HiWiFi provides an "official" way to unlock the U-Boot now, at the cost of
> voiding warranty.  However, you have to follow a procedure which requires a
> Chinese cellphone number, and a WeChat(a whatsapp clone app) account.
> Understanding of Chinese is also a requirement.  Anyway, since HiWiFi
> routers are sold in Chinese market only, I believe it won't be a big problem
> for non-Chinese users.....
>

> There are dozen ways to have devices for CN market in other parts of
> the the world.
> If there is no easier/ready way to switch from official firmware to
> OpenWrt on those devices, I'm not convinced about keeping official
> support for them in OpenWrt repository, but it's just mine opinion.
>
> Sorry, but it's not completely truth. I own this device while i living in
> Moscow, Russia.
> I didn't knew Chinese, but i successfully unlocked device by using WeChat
> support, speaking English.
> Chinese mobile number was not mandatory for me, support engineer unlocked
> dev mode for me easily.

OK, so there is a way to "unlock" those devices, without having
Chinese mobile number.
I didn't know that and my comment was based only on information
provided in above conversation.

> I think it's okay to have official openwrt support for this device and it's
> much better than using average quality patch from external repository.
> So please don't remove official support.

Don't get me wrong, but IMHO support doesn't mean to have only some
binary images without any information how to use them.
So, again IMHO, if flash process for those devices is so complicated
and requires direct contact with manufacturers support, then it
_should_ be documented somewhere and OpenWrt Wiki is the best place
for that. Without that, in my opinion, many users would try to flash
images using official web GUI and then find them useless.

Cheers from Poland,
Piotr