[OpenWrt-Devel] netifd + split dns servers

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos n.mavrogiannopoulos at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 08:58:31 EST 2015

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Steven Barth <cyrus at openwrt.org> wrote:
> Our dnsmasq init script registers /tmp/dnsmasq.d as an additional
> configuration dir, so you can place files there and restart it. However I'm
> not sure as to how much we want netifd to do dnsmasq-specific stuff or how
> we would do it.

Well I think that depends on how common use case is to have a dns
server per domain. Currently I think I can handle that in openconnect
directly, but if any other vpn application would like to do that,
they'll have to duplicate that code.

> Of course the bad thing here again is that dnsmasq doesn't support
> soft-reloading and every time you restart it you lose your dns cache etc.
> etc.

Interestingly it supports the 'servers-file' option which would allow
re-loading the domain specific servers without a restart. But even in
that case the cache will be cleared.

regards,
Nikos