[OpenWrt-Devel] Support for Ubnt UniFi Outdoor Plus

Birger Brunswiek birger at brunswiek.org
Fri Sep 19 20:26:52 EDT 2014

On 14/09/14 16:43, Birger Brunswiek wrote:
> I applied some patches I found in this list to my checkout to get
> OpenWRT running on my Ubnt UniFi Outdoor Plus (OD+). I was wondering if
> others working on this unit have seen problems with its wireless range.
> Mine cannot hear anything that's more than 5m away. Signals are shown to
> be very weak. Other devices on the other hand see the OD+ with the
> expected signal strength. So something's broken with the reception. It
> was working normally using the original firmware.
>
> I would also like to know if anyone has been able to restore the
> original firmware after installing OpenWRT.

With the help of firmware-mod-kit I was able to modify the firmware in
the UniFi controller so I could restore the OD+. After restoring the
Unit reception was back to as expected. Reverting to OpenWRT again the
reception also was OK until I did a power cycle. I suspect that their
driver does something that properly enables reception. Any pointers
where I can continue to investigate this?

Cheers,
Birger