[OpenWrt-Devel] IPv6 firewall and Port Control Protocol (Was: Barrier Breaker 14.07-rc1)

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Jul 18 08:06:59 EDT 2014

Hi Gui, hi list,

Gesendet: Freitag, 18. Juli 2014 um 05:56 Uhr
Von: "Gui Iribarren" <gui at altermundi.net>
An: openwrt-devel at lists.openwrt.org
Betreff: Re: [OpenWrt-Devel] IPv6 firewall and Port Control Protocol (Was: Barrier Breaker 14.07-rc1)
On 17/07/14 21:59, Fernando Frediani wrote:
> > Perfect and well said.
> >
> > Really don't see why people still think leaving firewalls opened is a
> > good idea.
>
> leaving *hosts* firewalls opened is a really bad idea. Agreed.
>
> But openwrt doesn't run on hosts, it runs on network equipment
> I.e. the building blocks of Internet.
> Carriers don't block traffic,
> ISP don't block traffic,
> and back in the day, CPE equipment didn't block traffic either (think of
> dialup, or dumb cablemodems which would simply act as a bridge)
> "firewall" was a software installed in the computer connected to the
> cablemodem
>
> Then, with the ever increasing quantity of devices vs the evident
> shortage of IPv4, people started to use NAT, or ISPs started to ship
> CPEs that would do NAT, which made two-way transparent communication
> impossible.

      Well, with the growth of the internet also the profitability grew, so malware grew along with the internet. So the need for NAT and the need for more secure home setups co-developed, I would say.

> I find it difficult to argue that NAT success was driven by a security
> concern, rather than by IP scarcity. :P [1]
>
> Fast-forward a few years, we have a new Internet Protocol being widely
> deployed that solves the address scarcity, and thus makes NAT unnecessary.

      Sure, NAT can easily go the way of the Dodo, as long as we keep dropping unsolicited inbound traffic in the router's firewall ;)

> Now CPEs can work again like transparent devices.
>
> ps. RFCs that argue that NAT resulted in a *reduction in security*...

      Yes, but we are talking not about having openwrt default to ipv6 NAT but what to do with unsolicited inbound traffic, not exactly what is dicussed in the cited rfc...

> [0]: http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc6092.txt , january/2011
>
> Security Considerations
> The IPv6 stateful filtering behavior described in this document is
> intended to be similar in function to the filtering behavior of
> commonly used IPv4/NAT gateways, which have been widely sold as a
> security tool for residential and small-office/home-office networks.
> As noted in the Security Considerations section of [RFC2993], the
> true impact of these tools may be a reduction in security. It may be
> generally assumed that the impacts discussed in that document related
> to filtering (and not translation) are to be expected with the simple
> IPv6 security mechanisms described here.
>
> In particular, it is worth noting that stateful filters create the
> illusion of a security barrier, but without the managed intent of a
> firewall. Appropriate security mechanisms implemented in the end

      What exactly is "managed intent of a firewall"?

> nodes, in conjunction with the [RFC4864] local network protection
> methods, function without reliance on network layer hacks and
> transport filters that may change over time. Also, defined security
> barriers assume that threats originate in the exterior, which may
> lead to practices that result in applications being fully exposed to
> interior attack and which therefore make breaches much easier.
>
> [1]: http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2993.txt[http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2993.txt] , november/2000,
> 11. Summary
> NAT advantages - no item about security

Did you read the last bullet point on opage 8 of rfc 2993? Where NAT is likened with port filtering firewalls in regard to inbound connections, that does not use the word security, but implies it nevertheless.

So the RFC explicitly recommends to close all ports by default! And there is a tacked on rant about the 'illusion of security' by an unmanaged firewall is quite funny in thid threads context, as people who can/will not keep the firewall well-configured, surely will manage to keep all their local endpoint machines fully patched, upgraded and securely configured. Your proposal will expose exactly the internaol network nodes of thiose that already have shown not to be too interested in securing their setup... (with the main justification, IIRC, how nice it would be to run open server's on other people's networks).

Best Regards
      Sebastian