Release Plans

Atish Patra atishp at atishpatra.org
Fri Oct 29 09:10:21 PDT 2021

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 2:52 AM Bin Meng <bmeng.cn at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 4:19 PM Anup Patel <anup at brainfault.org> wrote:

> > > It all depends on how many features we add to OpenSBI in 2-3 months.
> > > We definitely added
> > > enough features to warrant a release. We are just waiting for SBI
> > > specification to be called frozen
> > > as per the oficial process[1] which was defined recently.
> > >
> > > [1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A4gZlXXFT_a9QGzlc9g2RHg853e6ZDB59coANEYN3Aw/edit
> >
> > Based on experience till now, I am leaning towards a half-yearly release
> > cycle. Past few years, we were releasing OpenSBI quite frequently but
> > sometimes releases had below 50 commits.
> >
> > I suggest that every year we release in June and December. Also,
> > to do a release we should require at least 50 commits. In future, if
> > commit rate increases then we will move to 3-releases per-year (i.e.
> > every 4 months).
> >
> > Does this sound okay ??

Works for me.

Additionally, we want to bring up another topic. We think the OpenSBI
project has grown
big enough to have a logo :). Any simple logo that represent some of
the traits i.e. RISC-V, SBI and OpenSource
would be wonderful. We think crowdsourcing is the best option given
that it's a community project.
It is needless to say that the proper credit will be given to the
person coming up with the best logo.
We can start a crowdsource contest with a prize (may be a RISC-V board
or something else) as well to attract
more entries.

Any other ideas to attract more entries or suggestions for a logo?

--
Regards,
Atish