Does the --background option exist for Windows?

Paolo Ienne (严保罗) paolo.ienne at ieee.org
Mon Sep 18 12:05:28 PDT 2023

Daniel,

thanks for the answers--apparently I should have searched the GitLab
issues. Sorry for wasting your time.

> There's also a merge request in progress attempting to add
> `--background` on Windows. This is difficult due to the fact that
> Windows uses a very different process model from POSIX-y systems.

I understand.

>> The "Fedora dwmw2/openconnect COPR" mentioned in the next paragraph
>> actually work--although it was a bit of an adventure to manage to
>> unpack the multiple layers of archives and compressions to finally get
>> to the single meaningful file inside the RPM.
>>
> Yep, the COPR links *are* stored reliably, but it is indeed difficult
> to extract those files, and it'll definitely scare away some Windows
> users
> https://gitlab.com/openconnect/openconnect/-/issues/498#note_1128691313

I wonder whether (1) the COPR links should not be the first ones (since
they appear to be reliably available and worked like a charm for me--once
I found the EXE inside) and (2) one could not explain with a few commands
how to get to the EXE files on Windows 10. It took me a bit of
perseverance to realize that indeed the RPM through several layers of
compressing and archiving could and did contain an EXE installer--nothing
like that ever happened to me, so people may not expect it. I am a fan of
Total Commander on Windows 10 and I used 2-3 plugins to unwrap everything
in TC, but there may be a way to install a single lightweight Windows 10
tool to get the EXE out. If you know one, I would recommend mentioning it.
If there is interest, I can search around a bit--it should not be too
hard.

Again, thanks for openconnect.exe. It is great!

Best,

p.