Cisco MFA

Daniel Lenski dlenski at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 19:28:15 GMT 2021

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 11:13 AM William Bell <william.bell at frog.za.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> It seems that the push/pull errors have gone.

It sounds like something is being changed on the server side.

> In the windows client:
>
> Click AnyConnect
>
> Warns about the certificate > connect anyway
>
> Opens Browser and asks for account > connects but sometimes sends a SMS
> with a number to type in.
>
> Says connection is established.
>

> I do not have a secondary password.

Okay, so OpenConnect is (somehow) incorrectly parsing the forms sent
by the server. Either that or the server is sending different forms to
OpenConnect and AnyConnect.

Try either/both of these…
- Pretend to be running Cisco AnyConnect for Windows (openconnect
--os=win --useragent 'Cisco AnyConnect VPN Agent for Windows
4.7.03052')
- Add `--dump-http-traffic` to the command line to show

> I think that some session certificate is needed from the browser.

Do you mean a TLS client certificate? If that's needed, then you'll
certainly need to specify it with OpenConnect as well. See the `-c`,
`-k` options in the manual
(https://openconnect.gitlab.io/openconnect/manual.html).

Cisco servers normally give a clear error message when they require a
client cert, but none is specified… though it wouldn't surprise me if
there's some way to (mis)configure them not to show this.

Dan