Support default route with non-default attributes

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Apr 6 04:10:56 PDT 2016

On Fri, 2016-02-12 at 20:43 +0000, Shaheed Haque wrote:
> [ This report concerns a defect originally reported at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vpnc-scripts/+bug/1544802 ]
>
> Bug Description
>
> The /usr/share/vpnc-scripts/vpnc-script handles updates to the
> default
> route using two different codepaths. In one codepath, the command "ip
> route replace" is used to update the original default route with new
> one (and to restore it later). The replace command in the update case
> does not work if the original route default route has non-standard
> attributes.

Hi Shaheed, thanks for looking at this.

I wonder if it might be better just to *leave* the original default
route in place. Just add the new default route with a lower metric, so
the old route doesn't get used?

Then we don't have to worry about preserving the details of the old
route at all, do we? Or the fact that there might be *multiple* default
routes pre-existing? All we need to do is ensure that our new default
route has a lower metric than any which already existed.

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation