DNS not working on OSX Mavericks

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Wed Apr 23 02:36:50 PDT 2014

On 22 April 2014 17:50, Kevin Cernekee <cernekee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you double-check to see if you're running the latest vpnc-script
> from here:
>
> http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/vpnc-scripts.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/vpnc-script

There's a minor change to the v6 routing, but nothing major.  Updated
anyway, no change.

> There is some logic in the script to run scutil on OSX to set up DNS.
> The first thing I'd try is running "scutil --dns" to dump out the
> current configuration.

Ah, this is interesting.  /etc/resolv.conf lists the two VPN name
servers, but scutil --dns has this:

$ scutil  --dns
DNS configuration

resolver #1
  search domain[0] : ger.corp.intel.com
  nameserver[0] : 192.168.1.1
  nameserver[1] : 0.0.0.0
  if_index : 8 (en3)
  flags    : Request A records

(this is my local network's DNS configuration from before the VPN came
up, surely this should have been removed)

resolver #2
  domain   : ger.corp.intel.com
  nameserver[0] : 10.248.2.1
  nameserver[1] : 163.33.253.76
  flags    : Request A records
  reach    : Reachable
  order    : 100600

(this is the VPN DNS configuration)

I'd guess that this list is being searched in order, so OSX is always
using my local DNS?

If I uncomment this scutil argument in vpnc-script then the VPN name
servers are always used:

# next line overrides the default gateway and breaks split routing
#d.add Router $INTERNAL_IP4_ADDRESS

With this, resolver #1 and #2 are identical with both having the VPN
nameservers.  Is this related to the split networking?  The relevant
variables from the vpn are:

CISCO_SPLIT_EXC=1
CISCO_SPLIT_EXC_0_ADDR=0.0.0.0
CISCO_SPLIT_EXC_0_MASK=255.255.255.255