DNS not working on OSX Mavericks

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Tue Apr 22 09:34:15 PDT 2014

Hi,

Using openconnect 5.99 on OSX Mavericks (via brew, with vpnc also for
vpnc-script) I can connect to the VPN server, /etc/resolv.conf gets
updated but Chrome can't seem to reach the network and doing DNS
lookups directly using the OSX stack (dns-sd -q foo.com) show that
it's using the non-VPN name servers. Basically, nothing works.

To recap, where vpn.domain.name is a name that only works on the
internal DNS servers:

$ host vpn.domain.name

Works, as /etc/resolv.conf has the VPN name servers in and this tool
reads /etc/resolv.conf directly.

$ killall mDNSResponder ; dns-sd -q vpn.domain.name

Fails with no such record.

I've reached the limit of my knowledge about OSX networking right now,
so has anyone else encountered this or knows the fix?

Ross