Two terms for translating

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Mar 27 13:08:15 EDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 15:19 +0100, Marek Černocký wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I localize OpenConnect and I would need explanation for two terms
>
> 1. "plumb"/"plumbing" (is the same as thuneling?)

Hi Marek, thanks for translating OpenConnect.

The verb 'plumb' in this context is used to mean 'connect'. It's like
connecting pipes together... plumbing, in the context of water pipes,
sinks, taps, toilets...

It's used on the Solaris operating system to refer to a specific
operation; wiring up a network interface to carry the IPv4 or IPv6
protocol. I'm not entirely sure how they normally translate it, but I'd
guess that they just simply translate the word 'plumbing'.

So think of a plumber doing work on water pipes, and you'll probably get
the right translation.

> 2. "Choose authentication login selection"

That's a *horrid* string in the first place; I should apologise for it.

The '--authgroup' option allows you to choose the authentication group.
You can see an example of a server which uses groups during the
authentication, at https://ucbvpn.berkeley.edu/

You can see that it asks for the *group*, and then the username and the
password. Perhaps the English string should be changed to "Choose
authentication group"? Although when we lose 7 existing translations...