android log

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Mar 6 06:20:17 EST 2013

On Sat, 2013-03-02 at 18:04 -0500, Jason Cooper wrote:
> > Or should we just declare that the way to build for Android is with
> > Cerbero?
>
> meh, I'm inclined against unusual dependencies.  What other opensource
> Android apps are out there making use of the NDK and multiple libraries?
>
> Hmmm, looks like lildebi [1] might fit the bill.  Check out the build
> instructions in the README.

Cerbero annoyed me; it was a little too hard to use, and made it hard
for me to hack on the *libraries* that I'm using. It kept rebuilding
them and overwriting my changes to the sources :)

I threw together a simple makefile which will build the dependencies,
and have just pushed it out. Just 'cd android && make' should work, at
least if you have the NDK installed in the location that I have it.

It uses OpenSSL, and I'm sure Nikos will want to switch it to GnuTLS (in
fact, it can happily be optional).

I'd prefer the default to be GnuTLS, since Nikos has now fixed the trust
settings there to integrate properly with the platform. Even the version
of OpenSSL that's pre-installed on Android (which lacks DTLS but we
could have used it for TLS) doesn't get that right!

But I was lazy. It was a whole lot easier to just drop OpenSSL in place
for initial testing, instead of building gmp and nettle and gnutls, and
dealing with autohate breakage that I get with them. Nettle tries to
build something and then run it, which doesn't work well when
cross-compiling, and GnuTLS still has that automake brokenness.