android log

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Mar 2 17:33:43 EST 2013

Adding list to Cc in case others are interested.

On Sat, 2013-03-02 at 22:35 +0100, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> On 03/02/2013 10:10 PM, David Woodhouse wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2013-03-02 at 10:08 +0100, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> >> Linking was done fine, so it should be ok. However, I noticed is that
> >> ANDROID_KEYSTORE isn't defined. If I do though, it cannot find
> >> keystore.h (it is not part of ndk). Where do you get this header from?
> >
> > Hm, libxml isn't in the NDK *either*. I took a quick look at making it
> > build with the NDK, and I'm not entirely sure it's feasible at all
> > unless we want to do a local build of libxml too?
> >
> > Then again, I've often said I want to ditch libxml and move to something
> > simpler. In searching for information about using libxml under the NDK,
> > I've seen libroxml recommended: http://code.google.com/p/libroxml/
> >

> I don't know what requirements you have of xml, but I personally like
> small parsers that fit in a single file like the one in miniupnpc
> (minixml.[ch]). The drawback is that you need to cope with any issues in
> that code.

We build and parse fairly simple documents.

[dwmw2 at shinybook .libs]$ nm -a libopenconnect.so.2.1.0 | grep LIBXML
                 U xmlAddChild@@LIBXML2_2.4.30
                 U xmlCopyNode@@LIBXML2_2.4.30
                 U xmlDocDumpMemoryEnc@@LIBXML2_2.4.30
                 U xmlDocGetRootElement@@LIBXML2_2.4.30
                 U xmlDocSetRootElement@@LIBXML2_2.4.30
                 U xmlFreeDoc@@LIBXML2_2.4.30
                 U xmlFree@@LIBXML2_2.4.30
                 U xmlFreeNode@@LIBXML2_2.4.30
                 U xmlGetProp@@LIBXML2_2.4.30
                 U xmlNewChild@@LIBXML2_2.4.30
                 U xmlNewDoc@@LIBXML2_2.4.30
                 U xmlNewNode@@LIBXML2_2.4.30
                 U xmlNewProp@@LIBXML2_2.4.30
                 U xmlNewTextChild@@LIBXML2_2.4.30
                 U xmlNodeGetContent@@LIBXML2_2.4.30
                 U xmlReadMemory@@LIBXML2_2.6.0

> btw. I didn't have much issues compiling libxml2 for android, but it
> occupied quite some space (1.5 out of 3.2) if we include its dependency
> on libiconv.

I believe we can do without that. It's optional, isn't it? Just edit
include/libxml/xmlversion.h and disable it.

So... building openconnect in a full AOSP build tree, as Jason and I had
been doing, is probably not the best way to do it. What *should* we do?

Should we provide a script which downloads the libxml/gnutls/etc
tarballs and configures+builds them using the NDK, and then builds
openconnect against them? Or even just expect them to be extracted in
the local directory, and add their C files directly to the openconnect
Android.mk (which perhaps should be called Application.mk? )

Or should we just declare that the way to build for Android is with
Cerbero?

Or something else? It'd be good if someone relatively clueless could
manage to build it for Android out of the box without having to jump
through *too* many hoops...