DNS problem

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Mar 5 14:49:49 EST 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 19:13 +0100, Andreas Profous wrote:
> >2012/3/5 David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org>:
> >
> > Your VPN server should tell you a new DNS server to use, which *will* be
> > able to resolve VPN addresses. You're using the --script argument,
> > right? What nameserver addresses are listed in /etc/resolv.conf ?
>
> I'm using the --script argument indeed, with the script file provided
> in the git repository.
> $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> [...]
> nameserver 192.168.2.2
>
> That's the DNS server of our local network, *not* of the VPN.
> Apparently the VPN server somehow fails to tell me a new DNS server?
>
> My co-workers are able to connect to the VPN using Cisco Anyconnect on
> Mac OS X.
> - Is there a possibility to query the DNS server IP address from their
> machine once they're connected?

Not sure offhand; perhaps it'll be in /etc/resolv.conf. Or maybe you can
work it out from the output of the 'host' command. Or sniffing the
traffic on the VPN interface to see where the DNS traffic goes.

> - If yes, how do I specify that openconnect ought to use that DNS
> server IP address?

Can add '-v' to the openconnect command line, then send me its output
from when you connect?

Yes, all you have to do to use the VPN's nameserver is to put it
into /etc/resolv.conf. But that should be happening *automatically* if
the VPN server is correctly telling you about where it is, and if the
vpnc-script is doing its job.

One possibility is that the address of the VPN's nameserver and your own
local one are the *same*, because you're re-using the same range of
private address space.