Moving openconnect to /usr/sbin

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Sep 30 11:52:31 EDT 2011

I noticed that the OpenSuSE package is renaming the manual page to be in
section 1 of the manual. It turns out they were doing this because the
binary is in /usr/bin. The packaging guidelines quite rightly state that
man pages for stuff in /usr/bin should be in section 1, and for stuff
in /usr/sbin should be in section 8.

The better fix is to move the binary to $prefix/sbin, I think — and that
should obviously be done 'upstream' rather than just in the packages of one
distribution that pays attention to such details.

I've committed a fix to NetworkManager-openconnect to make it look
in /usr/sbin as well as /usr/bin, but I've *haven't* changed openconnect
yet; it would break existing setups.

I *would* like to make the change relatively soon though.

If you're packaging OpenConnect, please make sure your distribution will
cope when it moves — make sure you've got the NetworkManager-openconnect
patch I committed a few hours ago, or that you've built ConnMan to
look in the right place, or whatever is appropriate.

I *might* do it in the impending 3.13 release, or it might wait a little
longer. Depending on the feedback I get to this warning...