OpenConnect translations

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Sep 27 11:24:11 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 17:17 +0300, Jussi Kukkonen wrote:
> This needs changing as well:
> msgid "Discard bad split %sclude: \"%s\"\n"

http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/openconnect.git/commitdiff/8819208

Thanks.

> Also,there are some strings in tun.c that look like they maybe shouldn't
> be translated (or really need a translator comment):

Yeah, I thought that as my s/\(".*"\)/_\1/ went past them. And figured
that it didn't hurt to have them translatable; the translator then has
the *option* of not bothering.

I could perhaps try to come up with more verbose (I won't say 'better')
messages for each of these should-never-happen errors, but figured life
was too short. Criticism in 'diff -up' form welcome for those ones :)

> I'm guessing there are places where translators need more context to
> actually make high quality translations. It's difficult to say where
> comments are needed as a developer -- which is why I tend to add
> comments for every string that isn't blindingly obvious. GUIs are more
> complex in that regard so that's probably not needed here but adding a
> few comments would definitely help:
>  * Context of the string when it's not obvious, e.g. that string "no"
> will be used in input comparison and that it should match the text in an
> earlier message string
>  * Placeholder values: what will be inserted into the strings (if it
> isn't obvious), e.g. in "Connected %s as %s%s%s, using %s\n" -- an
> example is often enough

Yeah, true; I'll have a look through and add comments to some.

> To anyone translating: please let David know which strings are difficult
> to translate, it can be hard for developers to recognise those but
> adding a comment is easy when told to.

Yeah, thanks.