intltool dependency

Florian Wobbe Florian.Wobbe at awi.de
Thu Oct 27 22:19:50 EDT 2011

Hi David,

thanks for this awesome tool - it saved me a lot of troubles already!

I have issues compiling version 3.13 on MacOSX 10.6:

1) Even when the intltool scripts were found, in the final linking step -lintl is missing:

/bin/sh ./libtool  --tag=CC   --mode=link clang -I/opt/local/include   -I/opt/local/include/libxml2   -I/opt/local/include   -I/opt/local/include   -g -O2  -Wall -Wextra -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-unused-parameter -Werror=pointer-to-int-cast -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wformat-nonliteral -Wformat-security -Winit-self -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wmissing-noreturn -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith -Wundef -Wwrite-strings   -o openconnect openconnect-xml.o openconnect-main.o openconnect-dtls.o openconnect-cstp.o openconnect-mainloop.o openconnect-tun.o libopenconnect.la -L/opt/local/lib -lssl -lcrypto -lz   -L/opt/local/lib -lxml2   -L/opt/local/lib -lproxy   -L/opt/local/lib -lz

2) This is more a feature request: MacOSX and other systems do not come with intltool preinstalled. Unfortunately there is a number of dependencies for intltool: gnome-common, expat, perl5.12, p5.12-xml-parser, p5.12-getopt-long, p5.12-pathtools, p5.12-scalar-list-utils (which each have additional dependencies). This can be very annoying for people who do not need localization support. I like the simplicity of openconnect and I'd prefer to have localization support entirely optional.

3) Then there are a couple of warnings which you might address to enhance 	portability (cf. GNU extensions). See attached file.

Cheers,
Florian