problems on OpenSolaris

Hillel Lubman shtetldik at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 19:44:10 EST 2010

On 23/01/2010 19:21, Jeff Haferman wrote:
> I'm running OpenSolaris 2009.06 as a guest OS inside Sun VirtualBox on
> a Windows XP64 host.  I also have an XP 32-bit guest OS and am able to
> use the Cisco AnyConnect product fine inside that virtual machine, and
> I've used vpnc on other virtual machines to connect to the same Cisco
> VPN server, so I don't think running as a virtual machine is the issue.
>
> Anyway, I installed "tun" prior to finding the OpenConnect info.  I
> then found OpenConnect, and followed the instructions.  I first tried
> OpenConnect 2.21, but it would not compile.  So I went to the 2.10
> version, and it compiled fine (I used gcc and gmake).
>
> I also grabbed the most recent vpnc-script.
>
> Then, upon
>
> ./openconnect --script=./vpnc-script https://<my-anyconnect-server>
>
> I get
> getaddrinfo failed: node name or service name not known
> Failed to open HTTPS connection to https://<my-anyconnect-server>
> Failed to obtain WebVPN cookie
>
> The connection is reached just fine in a web-browser on this same
> virtual-machine, but since I'm running OpenSolaris, the anyconnect
> client doesn't know what to do.
>
> Hints on how to troubleshoot this please?

I had a similar situation - though my case Cisco server was set up for
"secure desktop" and openconnect downloaded a bash script which in turns
tries to launch a Java program which when launched - throws an exception
since it doesn't expect the system to be OpenSolaris (from there it
seems it only expects Windows, Linux and MacOSX). I'm not sure if there
are any ways to workaround this issue. There were some ideas how to fake
out a response for this "secure desktop" feature, but I'm not sure if it
was implemented yet.

Regards,

Hillel.