getaddrinfo failed: Servname not supported for ai_socktype

Matthew Kitchin (public/usenet) mkitchin.public at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 23:24:53 EDT 2010

  On 8/8/2010 6:41 AM, David Woodhouse wrote:

> No, looks like you did it right. Dunno why it would do that.
>
> Often for me when making an SSL connection is slow, it's doing something
> related to Kerberos. How long did you give it? Does 'openssl s_client
> -connect 216.248.9.102:443' manage to connect any quicker?
> ld
> Using strace on it may be enlightening, as might a tcpdump of the
> traffic between you and the server to see what's happening.
>
> Or just update to Fedora 13 as you suggest, and use that.

I let it sit for 10 minutes or so. It wasn't slow, it never did anything
more. No big deal (for me) though. Fedora 13 gave me a little trouble on
my VMware setup, but I'm up and going now. No openssl warning on
connecting. I'm running the very low tech script below. I'll throw a
couple sporadic large file transfers in there as well.
How does it handle failed network connections? Does it try and
reconnect, or should I put in a cron job that checks a ping and then
restarts the connection if it is down?

for i in {1..50000}
do
    date >>/script/pingcheck